Parade Of Souls

Parade Of Souls

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Meet Rita Offutt









Rita will be bringing her Wonderful Woodcarvings to the
Parade of Souls Art Show
October 13th!
My name is Rita Offutt.  My whole life I have loved to make things with my hands. As a little girl I could entertain myself for hours creating and it has continued through my adult life. I want to try everything and as a result I have an abundance of hobbies and more projects than I can ever finish in a lifetime. I honestly believe that all of these endeavors have helped me to grow artistically.

  About 25 years ago I wandered into a tole painting shop and they were offering a wood carving class.  Of course, I signed up on the spot and have been carving ever since. I love the feel of wood and discovering the endless possibilities of creating a piece of art. Often I spend time carving with friends.  We sometimes carve the same project and they all turn out so differently because of our own unique style. I am fascinated with carving tools.  If I see a knife with an unusual or pretty handle I am a sucker for purchasing it!!  As with any art or craft, tools are very important. Keeping my knives sharp and in good condition is essential. I prefer using knives and gouges when carving; I feel that I have more control than when using power tools.
My other love is creating jewelry.  I am in partnership with Debra McKee and Mary Heldenbrand in Twisted Sister Designs located in Mesa, Arizona.  We create unusual one of a kind jewelry designs and teach classes.  Check out our website: 
  Preparing for Parade of Souls has been very fun. I have always loved Halloween and remember my brother and me, as children getting ready for Trick or Treating. Living in the Midwest was a challenge deciding which costume to wear. Because of the cold weather, my mother always vetoed the beautiful princess and superman costumes in the stores, so we usually wore my dad’s clothes and dressed as hobos. We rubbed charcoal all over our faces to give us a heavy beard. I loved carving my jack-o-lantern…maybe that is where my love of carving originated.
I am originally from Illinois; after living in seven states I settled in Arizona.  I have two grown children and two handsome grandsons with a granddaughter due in October. My cats, Patchy and Samantha keep me company and are very interested in what I am doing; they are always right in the middle of my wood chips!!


No comments:

Post a Comment